Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wedding Gown to Christening Gown Makeover

Hello there.  I was able to finally get some photos saved on my computer to publish.  Hope you enjoy. 
First up, the christening gown.  If you remember, this started with the 1970's wedding dress (polyester and glue on trim).  But I do believe it turned out very cute.  It is my own drafted/draped version.


Dress Before.  Front view.




Back view.


Trim Close-up.



More trim close-up.



Christening Gown - After.




Front trim.


Back Trim








Displayed with bonnet.


Displayed back view.




Bonnet, Diaper Cover and Booties.






The gown has been in storage since the wedding.  It took a good pressing and steaming before I started.  It could have used a washing, but I didn't want to risk it.  The steam helped to loosen up the glued on trims.  I salvaged what I could to use on the gown.  Some items were just too brittle to use though. 

The waist band on the gown was taken from the neck piece of the wedding dress.  I initially wanted to make a gown and a christening suit, but did not have enough fabric.  What I did do though was make this a unisex gown.  The sheer overlay on the gown is removable.  It is attached with clear snaps.  When removed, the gown can be used for a boy. 

The bonnet is also reversible.  One side is plain, and the other side is trimmed in the flower trim. 

This was a fun project to work on. 

I tested some smocking for the bodice on this piece, but with the fabrics, it did not turn out as nice as I would have liked.  

Coming up - The Victorian Bonnet.






No comments: